[WT-support] Default directory for new contest files (V4)

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Jul 20 00:06:01 CEST 2009

I used "Options | Log | Default Directory for new contest files" to change
from the V4 default "...\My Documents\Win-Test" to

C:\Program Files\WT4

but now when I create a new contest log, e.g. NAQP CW, by default Win-Test 4
creates:

C:\Program Files\WT4\NAQP-CW_2009 at N6TV\NAQP-CW_2009_STN1 at N6TV.wt4

which seems much too long and redundant.  Is this a bug or is this working
as intended?  I am really not fond of long files names.  I know I can use
the [Delete] key to edit the names and remove the extra directory before
pressing [OK], but I would really prefer not to have to do that every time I
create a new Win-Test log.

If this is working as the authors intended, please explain the advantage of
creating a new subdirectory for every new contest log, especially if that
directory is only going to contain *one* file for single-ops.

In sum, if I tell Win-Test I want new logs in C:\Program Files\WT4, then I
expect them to go into WT4, not to some new subdirectory of WT4.  Then from
the command line I can just type

WT filename

to open the log, which is much easier than typing

WT some-directory\filename

or even worse

WT "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Win-Test\filename"