[WT-support] SO2R on 2 networked computers

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Jan 28 16:35:32 CET 2009

What you miss is that many people want to hold the memory
while locked out and then send it when the other radio
releases, so they comply with rules.

A hardware lockout is simple but will not accomplish that,
so people cannot use the memory to send CW or can not use
the voice memory when using a hardware lockout.

What this means is people are inclined to NOT follow the
rules when using a manual lockout because it prevents using
the memory, so they just want to abandon the whole
protection. Not having the lockout in the computer
encourages people to make mistakes. At any station people
object to the hardware lockout because it prevents using
memory messages or exchanges. A manual lockout is a very bad
solution in the sense you can not use the memories to send
exchanges or to hold a frequency on the run station.

A computer lockout that holds the message while locked out
and then sends upon release of the other radio is a perfect
solution because no one can use a foot switch to defeat it,
and because the memories are available to use.

73 Tom