[WT-support] WT winkey MK{2R} problems

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Jan 26 23:48:42 CET 2009

2009/1/26 Nick F5VIH/SV3SJ <f5vih at sinanis.com>

> - Varying speed of certain messages. For instance, running at 30wpm,
> regularly the "+" message will be sent at 36 wpm or more. Sometimes it is
> just the exchange "INS" message. It is can occur at any speed.

I still see this problem even when selecting WinKey speed setting "Only by
the Win-Test command", even without using any "+" or "-" in any CW
messages.  In the log I see that Win-Test is still sending "Cancel buffered
speed change" commands at the end of *every* CW message when it should only
do that **if the message has done an internal speed jump via "+".  The speed
jump problem gets really bad if you press [Alt-F9] or [Alt-F10] after
starting a message.  The displayed speed ends up getting "cancelled" and you
must change it again to get the displayed speed to match the actual speed.

See "Point 1" in this important post by
W4TV<http://www.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2008-January/075293.html>from
last year explaining that "Cancel buffered speed change" should
normally not be used.

- Sometimes sending with paddles connected to the Microham device, will
> leave the setup in a state that no WT F-keys function. One has to either
> send a dash/dot with the paddles or press esc. This seems to unblock WT and
> F-keys function correctly (even sending all the key presses that have failed
> before unblocking).

I think this is a WinKey chip issue.  The first press of the paddles halts a
CW message, but it does *not* send any dots or dashes until you *let go* and
start sending *again*.  I tried to convince K1EL that is should just start
sending dots or dashes immediately, like a Logikey, but he didn't want to
change it.  Maybe if more people complain about this usability problem, he
will fix it.

> - There are situations that pressing an F-key, will send only the first
> letter of the message. WT will then block for good and the only cure I've
> found is to restart the router and WT. If I just type setup on WT and then
> click on OK, WT will simply crash.

Maybe this happens only if you accidentally bump the paddle while a message
is sending?  Are you using a shaky table with very close spacing on your
paddles?  So when you bang on the keyboard, the paddle also closes briefly
at the same time and stops the message? :-)