[WT-support] FSK key and EZMASTER

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Jan 26 22:15:10 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Carlos Neves (CT3FQ) <ct3fq at ct3team.com>wrote:

> I have all setup correct, as is in the wiki win-test documents.  In
> win-test menu "configure interfaces" I have chose "ezmaster" in COM1, and,
> in the "ezmaster configuration"  option,  I have checked  the DTR  and RTS
>  ( see http://www.ct3team.com/downloads/ezmaster1.png),  as you can see,
> win-key is disable, and there is a  YAESU in radio A, and  an ICOM in radio
> B (http://www.ct3team.com/downloads/ezmaster2.png).

Thank you for posting the screen shots, as this is very helpful.  I see one
error, but I don't know if that explains your CAT problem.  The FT-1000MP
wants to use 4800,N,8,2 for CAT, but the Win-Test EZMaster setup screen
shows 4800,N,8,1 (only 1 stop bit).  Try changing it to 4800,N,8,2.  You may
also have to change it to 4800,N,8,2 in the EZMaster Console.  But again,
this may not make much difference.

For FSK I use the COM2 connected to the AUX ezmaster.  I have to run  two
> instances of MMTTY, one for Radio A  (left  audio) and other to Radio B
> (right audio) configured with NONE in MMTTY "Radio command" and    EXTFSK
> defined to TX. Please note that  EXTFSK has  DTR for FSK and RTS to PTT ( I
> don't use TXD!).  For your information I'm running EXTFSK over a Eterlogic
> virtual comm (COM3) (http://www.ct3team.com/downloads/mmtty.png)  because
> I need to have two EXTFSKs running  in the same real COM2 (
> http://www.ct3team.com/downloads/vspe.png), one for radio A, and other for
> Radio B.
>
> This configuration works for me in all modes.

Good.  Then I think you will have use this method for Win-Test SO2R in RTTY
with MMTTY, and you will have to use two cables (USB to EZMaster, and real
COM port (COM2?) to EZMaster Aux port input).

> Last sunday, I decided to eliminated another cable connection and try
> EXTFSK direct in the same USB cable of ezmaster.

So it sounds like you want to used EZMaster Advanced mode, which means no
cable from the "real" (?) COM2 port to the Aux input port of the EZMaster?
So, how is MMTTY going to communicate FSK signals to the EZMaster?  COM2
(and virtual COM3) are not physically connected to the the EZMaster, so the
FSK signals from MMTTY cannot get to the EZMaster, so the EZMaster has no
FSK signals to forward to the radio.  Perhaps in Advanced mode there is a
way to send ASCII text to the EZMaster and have it generate FSK signals, but
MMTTY does not know how to talk to an EZMaster in Advanced mode.  It only
knows how to key FSK pins on serial ports (or virtual pins on USB-to-serial
adapters such as the EZMaster).

Why not?  I have the working example of CW mode that keys the two radios
> with DTR and RTS ( remember that I have win-key option disable, because it
> doesn't works for me in CW).

Win-Test knows how to key CW via the EZMaster virtual COM port.  But
Win-Test does not generate FSK signals.  MMTTY does that.  Win-Test knows
how to send ASCII text to MMTTY, but MMTTY does not know know how to forward
ASCII text to EZMaster via the USB port.

> I have changed the two  EXTFSK on a new virtual COM shared with ezmaster
> and win-test. When I saw the ezmaster red PTT led, and Data led blinking, I
> was happy! Unfortunately, I have PTT but no FSK data to the radios.

Well, as you said originally, it could be an EZMaster firmware bug, but I
still don't understand how MMTTY is going to send data to the EZMaster.  In
MMTTY, did you go to Options | Setup MMTTY | MISC tab?  Next to the COM-TxD
FSK option, there is a button that, when pressed, brings up the USB Port
Option window.  Did you select option C?  See
http://www.aa5au.com/gettingstarted/GettingStartedOnRtty.html for more info.

To summarize, it sounds like you are telling one instace of MMTTY to send
RTTY signals to COM2 (a real serial port), and the second instance of MMTTY
to send RTTY signals to COM3 (a virtual serial port actually connected to
COM2), but COM2 is not connected to anything?  It needs to be connected to
the Aux port of the EZMaster, doesn't it?