[WT-support] FSK key and EZMASTER

Carlos Neves (CT3FQ) ct3fq at ct3team.com
Tue Jan 27 13:28:20 CET 2009

Thank you Bob and Fabio for your help.

Anyway, last night, I have solved the problem with a "ugly" solution
(HI).  I have inserted a very low VCE optocoupler (sharp PC-817) in the
Ezmaster Data LED and wire it  to the AUX DTR pin, now it's working
RTTY,CW, PSK etc...  with only  one cable.
Finally,  I have my wireless setup  working in all modes! (
http://www.ct3team.com/downloads/workingsetup.png).

I think there was some misunderstanding about who takes care of FSK
keying... let's see how my setup works:

1) I have a Windows XP notebook without any serial COM;

2) I have disabled the internal fax/modem in the Control Panel to free
the COM1 number (not needed, but it's a clean issue);

3) As we know, when connected to the notebook, the Ezmaster USB device
creates a COM1 (my wireless setup uses  USB-Redirect Lite clinet
sofware  for that, but it's not important for understanding this subject);

4) I run the Eterlogic VSPE tool to create a virtual COM3 over the real
USB COM1 where Ezmaster is "connected". This free tool allows me to run
several aplications over  the same real COM, so win-test will be
configured now for "COM3" for Ezmaster. Please note that this virtual
"COM3" is also shared with the two EXTFSK instances (diodes don't needed
in this case!) to keys RADIO A and B;

6) In RTTY  mode Win-test doesn't use DTR or RTS, so it allows EXTFSK to
keying FSK  over DTR  in the same virtual "COM3" of win-test (remember
that I have disable de TX Radios pool in win-test), i.e, MMTTY and
EXTFSK   works as a  standalone aplication connected to EZMASTER USB
(see howto at
http://www.hamradiosolutions.com/public/filesupload/EZM_config_MMTTY_0101.pdf)

7) For any  unknown reason, ezmaster blinks the Data LED, with RTTY
data, but doesn't route it to FSK  pinout! Incredibly it start to works
if you change ezmaster to STANDALONE or EXTENDED mode in the LCD display
menu... but  unfortunately win-test stops to receive and send CAT data,
and we have to return the device  to ADVANCED mode;

8) Last night, and after some  tests,  I decided to open the BOX  and
inserted  a simple optocoupler  (needed? I'm not an electronic
expert...) wired to AUX DTR pin, and now all modes are  working  with
only one cable to Ezmaster.

I'm happy...