[WT-support] K1EL keyer

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Feb 12 02:02:57 CET 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:01 PM, Tom W8JI <w8ji at w8ji.com> wrote:

> We were doing OK on interfaces, but it was frustrating not
> being able to control the weight. We needed more weight on
> the K3 for CW, and WinTest does not have a weight control.
> (It has a ratio control that is labeled "weight".) I also
> had some problems with hesitation and uneven spacing on CW.

The only time I have seen problems with uneven spacing with LPT1-generated
CW is when using the menus while keying.  Using the keyboard shortcut text
commands instead of the menus (e.g. SETUP, WKSETUP, CWWEIGHT) usually
bypasses these timing problems.

The K1EL keyers straightened that all out, but the interface
> from WinTEst into the K1EL keyer is not good. We have to set
> the weight in the keyer with WinTest closed, then we can
> open WinTest.  It would be nice if wither WinTEst was fixed
> on the CW so it could be used directly, or if that will
> never happen then it would be nice if (eventually) the
> interface out to the K1EL keyer was fixed.

"Fixed" implies something is broken.  "Enhanced" would be a better word
here.  I agree it would be nice if the WKSETUP dialog were enhanced to
control more WinKey / WinKey2 settings such as keying ratio, weighting, 1st
extension, and keying compensation.

As this all took place for me it was pretty frustrating. I
> paid for WinTest expecting it worked properly on CW, then
> paid for MFJ keyers that did a good job on interfacing, then
> I had to mothball all the new keyers and buy K1EL USB
> keyers. It would be nice if I could use all the features of
> the new keyers, but that's all  up to the WinTest people. So
> far no hints they care at all about that.

I think you can use all the features of the new keyers, you just have to use
two programs to set it up.  That's inconvenient, but not a show-stopper.

I think the Win-Test developers do care a lot about the WinKey interface,
it's just a matter of priorities and available time to get new features
added.  I'm not sure if they even have access to a K1EL keyer with a WinKey2
chip.  Would you be willing to lend them one of yours for a while for
development purposes? :-)