[WT-support] K1EL keyer

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Feb 12 01:01:17 CET 2009

> Hi Tom...well it sure is better than a stand alone keyer,
> and for its

The K1EL keyer is excellent. No problems at all with it.

> relative cheaper cost is makes it a better option than
> what I have available
> any other means...I am also adding 3 of the MicroHam
> WinKeyers..they will
> allow me to do away with rig control interface, cw keyer,
> and sound card
> interface..since it does all three in one case...this is
> yet another step in
> the right direction..de Rick

We were doing OK on interfaces, but it was frustrating not
being able to control the weight. We needed more weight on
the K3 for CW, and WinTest does not have a weight control.
(It has a ratio control that is labeled "weight".) I also
had some problems with hesitation and uneven spacing on CW.
The K1EL keyers straightened that all out, but the interface
from WinTEst into the K1EL keyer is not good. We have to set
the weight in the keyer with WinTest closed, then we can
open WinTest.  It would be nice if wither WinTEst was fixed
on the CW so it could be used directly, or if that will
never happen then it would be nice if (eventually) the
interface out to the K1EL keyer was fixed.

As this all took place for me it was pretty frustrating. I
paid for WinTest expecting it worked properly on CW, then
paid for MFJ keyers that did a good job on interfacing, then
I had to mothball all the new keyers and buy K1EL USB
keyers. It would be nice if I could use all the features of
the new keyers, but that's all  up to the WinTest people. So
far no hints they care at all about that.

73 Tom