[WT-support] K1EL keyer

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Feb 12 02:32:26 CET 2009

> "Fixed" implies something is broken.  "Enhanced" would be
> a better word
> here.  I agree it would be nice if the WKSETUP dialog were
> enhanced to
> control more WinKey / WinKey2 settings such as keying
> ratio, weighting, 1st
> extension, and keying compensation.

The weight is a ratio control. I suppose we could say it
needs "enhanced" so it becomes a weight control. :-)

Even the speed does not interface right with the Winkey so
it needs some work. It looks like a very minimal "get it out
the door" keying interface to me.

> I think you can use all the features of the new keyers,
> you just have to use
> two programs to set it up.  That's inconvenient, but not a
> show-stopper.
>
> I think the Win-Test developers do care a lot about the
> WinKey interface,
> it's just a matter of priorities and available time to get
> new features
> added.  I'm not sure if they even have access to a K1EL
> keyer with a WinKey2
> chip.  Would you be willing to lend them one of yours for
> a while for
> development purposes? :-)

 I would have initially, before I spent $600 on keyers. It
would have been cheaper for me to buy them a Winkeyer to
keep. I'm at my limit now for spending money trying to work
around a marginal software design for CW.

73 Tom