[WT-support] erratic CW sending V 37.1

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Dec 15 09:21:07 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM, John Crovelli <w2gd at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I"m using WT 3.27.1 and for the first time ran into a CW problem at the
> start of this year's CQWW CW at P40W
>
> The computer is a Dell Laptop, 1.6 mhz, 1/2 meg of RAM.
>
> The computer had been on continuously for 4 days prior to the contest
> start.  When I attempted to send CW with the computer (I use an

LPT connection), everything sounded 'clipped' like the weight control was
> way too light.

John,

I assume you were listening to rig sidetone, not the PC speakers (via the
SOUND / NOSOUND command)?  The PC speaker CW audio will often sound clipped
even though the CW sent via LPT port is fine.

The PTT lead time (PTT ON Delay) in the Win-Test Configure Interfaces screen
(SETUP) may also affect things if it is set too high.

But it sounds like you fixed the problem simply by rebooting.  Maybe an
automatic virus can got stuck trying to read and re-read a file from a bad
spot on the hard disk?