[WT-support] Some questions and suggestions

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Dec 2 11:15:39 CET 2009

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 11:57 PM, Mikael Larsmark <mike at sm3wmv.com> wrote:

> I have a couple of questions which I haven't found on the wiki.

First, you can find things easily by searching the PDF
Documentation<http://docs.win-test.com/pdf/downloads/manual.pdf>.
 Searching the online Wiki doesn't always work as well as it should, and
searching the local HTML documentation isn't supported at all, so everyone
should download a copy of the PDF file, and download a fresh copy every few
months (it has the same content as the Wiki).

> 1-> Is there a way to send spots to the SUB VFO of the radio?

Yes, Alt-Double Click.  I found this by searching the PDF file for "SUB
VFO".

> 2-> Is there a way to do the above from the partner computer?

No, because only one computer is connected to the radio, not two.  The
partner can add entries to the bandmap via Ctrl-Enter.  The main op has to
do the Alt-Doubleclick to load VFO B.

> 3-> It would be nice if the partner operator could actually run QSO:s on
> the main receiver SUB VFO, letting the run operator concentrate on the
> running. The partner computer could work just like the main operator
> computer but on the SUB VFO to work in-band multipliers.

Try Alt-Doubleclick.  The partner can log QSOs by pressing [Enter].  He can
send CW if the keyers are wired in parallel.  I don't know how to wire two
mics in parallel.   Someone has to control which VFO is doing the
transmitting.

4-> I'd like to see an addition of a field where the last spot of the
> own call sign occurred. Now it just warns "SPOTTED by blablabla" which
> is nice but you can not see how long ago and it disappear rather quickly
> if another spot arrives.

I agree.  Loading every call you work on your CQ frequency into the bandmap,
as is done today (copied from CT), serves no practical purpose.  It would be
much more helpful to show REAL spots made on your CQ frequency, whether it
is your own call, or someone else that you cannot hear.  I hope the
developers put this high on the priority list.

Win-Test ran really nice in CQWW CW and I think all errors we had were
> operator errors.

Same here.  And one error is a little *too* easy to make.  Say you want to
remove a QSO that you entered by mistake.  Common practice is to replace the
callsign with your own, so that you can run File | Clean Log later to remove
these QSOs (note:  must close Win-Test file first, otherwise File | Clean
log is not visible).

Some time later, more QSOs from other bands enter the log.  You decide you
want to post a spot to the cluster by pressing Alt-F3 and hitting [Enter].
 Ooops!  Win-Test grabs the last QSO on YOUR band (the one with your own
callsign, which may not even be visible on the screen), and now it thinks
you are trying to do a self spot!  Win-Test then TERMINATES EVERY COPY OF
WIN-TEST ON YOUR NETWORK when you press [OK].

This is scary and very disruptive and unnecessary.  Self spot attempts
should just be silently ignored IMHO, especially when it is much easier to
do them by accident than on purpose.