[WT-support] CW Skimmer

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Dec 2 10:46:26 CET 2009

FYI, some of the issues regarding COM port sharing and Skimmer commands were
discussed about a year ago.  See

http://www.f5mzn.org:8080/pipermail/support/2009-January/077121.html

If you check the new "CW Skimmer" checkbox in wtDxTelnet under DXCluster
properties, Skimmer commands such as  SKIMMER/QSY should be accepted and
forwarded to CW Skimmer's TELNET server.

If you do NOT check the Skimmer box, SKIMMER/QSY commands should just be
discarded, so that DX Clusters don't receive them.  If it's not working that
way, I think it is a bug in wtDxTelnet.

If you click on the Skimmer's waterfall display, and wtDxTelnet is connected
to that Skimmer's local telnet server, and Win-Test doesn't move your
transmitter to that frequency, well, I think that needs to be implemented.

DK9IP's point about running multiple copies of wtDxTelnet is quite valid.
 There is only ONE file named wtDxTelnet.ini per computer, so you have to
constantly respecify which cluster you want by default.

The only work-around at present is to run ONE instance of wtDxTelnet per
computer (or virtual machine), and manually start it.

There may be other ways around this, but I believe the cleanest solution
would be for the Win-Test developers to enhance wtDxTelnet:

   1. Support connections / reconnections to *multiple* DxClusters or CW
   Skimmers with a *single* instance of wtDxTelnet
   2. For Skimmer connections only, accept and automatically generate
   appropriate CW Skimmer commands, such as SKIMMER/QSY and SKIMMER/STATUS when
   a QSO is logged or an entry is added to the bandmap, or a frequency changing
   command is issued in Win-Test.
   3. For Skimmer connections only, interpret Skimmer's "Announce" messages
   such as
   Clicked on "TI8/DL4MO" at 14012.9 Clicked on 14012.9 and move the
   appropriate radio and/or fill the band map as discussed in the link at the
   top of this message.

As far as adding special code to support modified FT-1000MPs with SDRs
replacing the SubReceiver (?), well, I think that is something that should
be very low on the priority list since so few people have such modified
radios.

However, adding OmniRig support to Win-Test would make such a configuration
much easier to support, as well as make it much easier to run SDR programs
like Winrad with Win-Test, because OmniRig allows two or more programs to
share a transceiver's COM port.  Then you could use Winrad to provide point
and click tuning ("click to tune") instead of CW Skimmer.  Winrad is free
and it has a much nicer waterfall display than CW Skimmer, but no CW
decoding.

OmniRig support has been requested many times and the developers seem to
understand the requirement.

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 12:37 AM, Winfried Kriegl DK9IP/KH7CD <dk9ip at dk9ip.de