[WT-support] Selecting a SCP file

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Dec 1 21:28:38 CET 2009

I agree with Zoli.  At K3LR this weekend, it took us a long time to figure
out that a very out-of-date CQWW.DTB file (from 2006!) was being used for
Super Check purposes instead of MASTER.SCP!  At minimum, I think the Super
Check *file name* (without path) and *version* should appear in the Super
Check Window TITLE, to give you a quick indication of what is being used
(since the load time messages disappear too quickly), as well as a warning
indicator if the "In log only" option has been checked.

I also think the Super Check pop-up needs a new option "In database only".
Sometimes you hit Enter too quickly and now ther is no easy way to tell if
that callsign was OK in Super Check before you hit Enter, or not.

Eventually (hopefully soon) I'd love to see Win-Test 4 replace the .DTB /
.SCP file concept with something similar to the way "Extra Data Files" are
handled.  The "deprecated" binary .DTB files in particular are difficult to
create and too inflexible (with only one data field per file).

I suggest a new dialog that allows you to select which files are to be used
for each purpose, combining purposes when appropriate:

                   Super Check    Prefill    Extra Data Window
File1.SCP                X         (n/a)         (n/a)
File2.XDT                X         (n/a)           X
File3.DTB                X           X
File4.WTB                                          X
File5.WT4                X           X           (n/a)
File6.LOG                            X           (n/a)
File7.ADI                            X           (n/a)

(n/a) = file type not applicable to this column

with all the callsigns and exchange data merged together.  When a timestamp
is available, "newest data wins" should be the rule; file order and file
name should not matter.

Load time concerns could be reduced by saving all the combined data and
source file info into a new merged binary database or XML file.  Then
Win-Test would only have to rebuild that file when the seleced source files
have changed or gone away.