[WT-support] WPX SSB S/N bug

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Apr 8 00:37:36 CEST 2009

> Surely sub-section V,D,a of the 2009 WPX rules
> specifically prohibits two
> transmitters on the same band ?
>
> Am I missing something?

I think it might be useful to post what the CQ contest
people have to say about this since the rules seem to be in
contention:

"On the rule wording, I understand your concern with
following what seems to
be clear wording, i.e., one transmitter.  I personally agree
with you.
However, other people easily understand those same words to
mean "one
transmitter at a time".  Moreover, this has been the
practice for several
years and the CQWW committee agrees with this
interpretation.  I think we
have to live with it until such time as the wording is made
more explicit."

The CQ contest people all agree that even though the wording
is poor, the rule has generally been interpreted to mean one
transmitting signal and not one transmitter.

They further said:

"As to how your station was operated in SSB WPX, I see no
rule infraction
whatsoever based on what you write below.  Yes, you should
go through your
log and make sure it complies with the rule for station
designation.  That
is, make sure all QSOs made by the run-band station (even if
two or more
interlocked transmitters were used on a band) are marked
with a '0' in
column 81 of the Cabrillo file.  Mult-band station QSOs
should be marked
with a '1'.  There is nothing wrong with correcting that
column after the
contest.  It just needs to be true to what you actually did
in the contest."

So we are stuck with a little logging problem. When the mult
radio is on the same band as the run radio it is considered
to be the same as the run radio, except both can not emit RF
at the same moment of time.

Anyone have any suggestion how to work around the logging
problem?

By the way, I agree by the letter of the rules it should be
one transmitter but that is not what the final authority
says. They say it is intended to and generally accepted to
mean one transmitted signal, so that is how we did it and
will do it until they change the rules.

73 Tom