[WT-support] HamCap update required for 2008

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Jan 27 10:25:57 CET 2008

I was having trouble getting HamCap to work right.  It kept coming up with
"January 2003" as the default date, and the sunspot number (SSN) was way too
high.  Of course that meant incorrect propagation predictions, and
misleading info. in the Win-Test QSY
Wizard<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Windows#QSY_Wizard>
.

Pressing the "IonoProbe" button in HamCap didn't help.  The SSN and K-Index
numbers would never update; they would not "turn green" even though
IonoProbe seemed to be running fine.

Then I discovered SSN.DAT in the HamCap directory ends with an SSN for
December, 2007. :-)

The fix is simple:  download the "Sunspot Data Update" from
http://www.dxatlas.com/Download.asp

Direct link:  http://www.dxatlas.com/HamCap/Files/SSN.zip

Unzip ssn.dat into your HamCap directory, and all is well again.

There's also a relatively new version of VOACAP (used by HamCap) that you
can download from http://www.greg-hand.com/hfwin32.html.  I installed the
new version 08.0121 on top of my old version, and it seems to run fine.