[WT-support] newbie questions

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Sep 2 08:40:34 CEST 2007

On 9/1/07, ke5c <ke5c at hot.rr.com> wrote:

> I've been fighting installing all that old DOS stuff on a different
> contesting computer and find myself asking "why"?

A common situation these days!

With win-test can you have a simple paddle interface on the parallel
> port (suspected answer no), or do you connect your paddle to an outboard
> interfaced box like a microham usb micro keyer?

For paddles, you need an outboard keyer.  Win-Test does not support a paddle
on the parallel port like TRlog or CT or NA (yet).

If you use a Top Ten DX Doubler, can you plug your paddles into it and
> have win-test respond to those and send CW?

The DX Doubler doesn't have an internal keyer, it just connects the keyer
paddle to the parallel port, so this won't give you what you want.

What are the most popular of these boxes in the win-test community.

The EZMaster and the MicroHam MK2R boxes are well-supported by Win-test.
The DX Doubler is supported too, in default mode (but not the paddle
support).

Just plug your paddle into a good external keyer like a Logikey K-1, then
plug the K-1 into your DX Doubler.  The Doubler will act like a Y-adapter:
you'll have parallel CW generated by Win-Test (via LPT1), and your external
keyer and paddles.  But unlike TRlog, Win-Test won't stop sending when you
hit the paddle.

But, if you connect a paddle to a WinKey box (e.g. an EZMaster), Win-Test
will stop the CW when you hit the paddles.

Paddle support via LPT1 does seem like a missing feature, but you can work
around it with hardware.  I've offered my LPT1 paddle support source code
(written in C and used by CT) to F5MZN, but Olivier doesn't seem to be too
interested in adding this feature to Win-Test right now.