[WT-support] QSY Wizard

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Sun Oct 21 23:56:54 CEST 2007

I4UFH HRS wrotte:
> Does any one use this feature .... ?
>
> I am trying to learn more how this feature if is enough correct, just as a
> tool for the new comers operators.
>

> Unfortunatly after setting each windows, antennas/lat-log/ the results are
> fair different of what we could expect, claiming QSY on 40m with USA West
> Coast on the middle of the morning from Europe or Europeans o 160m. I would
> expect a better suggestion ...
>
> Based on the own experience the results are unseful and a worst support for
> a newcomers that without experience will use CTRL P as mastering os QSY ..
>
> Any better improvment ? HamCap is enough good with forecasts and i think
> that these information need to be correlated with SS/SR information.

QSY Wizard uses the Hamcap forecasts for making decisions. I experienced
best results setting Hamcap with isotropic antennas and 1500 watts for
all bands. You can have wrong results if you set high-gain antennas in
Hamcap -- you can probably work West-cost in the middle of the morning
on 40 from Europe a normal day when there is not tons of strong signals
on the band. Unfortunately, this is not as true in a contest, and this
is why I think it's better to minimise the station performance in Hamcap.

QSY Wizard works this way:

1. search which bands the DXCC is missing
2. check if condx are OK, band by band
3. sort the results
	- QSY Wizards will suggest first to QSY on the band of the active mult
station (if operating M/S)
	- then it will sort by the better probability of working the station
(according to the signal strength given by Hamcap)
	- it will display "SKED" when there is no condx at the moment with the
other station

Don't expect good result on 160 because there is no forecast on that band.

Hope that it clarifies a bit.

Olivier / f5mzn