[WT-support] CQWW CW : another great WinTest weekend! A few comments

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Thu Nov 29 19:23:23 CET 2007

Hi -

Dave Sharred wrotte:
> Hi All
>
> I upgraded to V3.18 before the contest; I don't need convincing that WT is
> great; I really like it ! But, I had a couple of issues that I hadn't seen
> before :
>
> I use a Micro Ham USB II as the rig and CW interface.  PC runs XP on a
> Compaq laptop.
>
> 1 )  First problem was for some reason, I couldn't get the PC to key the
> radio.  From the USB II, I could test the RTS and DTR, and all was OK.
>
> I was wondering what I was doing wrong; but couldn't see anything. This
> cured itself with a complete reboot of the PC. Strange . WT wasn't talking
> to the USBII.

Did you try to stop/restart both Win-Test and USB Router? Anyway, please
get in touch if that happens too frequently!

> 2)  - I noticed that the CW speed seems to be a bit more erratic than usual.
> It seems to be not so well controlled; and was irregular in speed. I don't
> know if any of the code changes have caused this, but I have never noticed
> it before.  Maybe I will have to move to a WinKey device in future ??

We did use WT with either Winkey and the internal CW keyer @TM2Y and I
don't remember that anybody complained about irregular speed (except the
speed jump with WinKey which seems still not working perfectly).

> 3) - Don't know why the link to the Paris Telnet cluster should fall over;
> but I seemed to get disconnected too many times. I use WiFi to the house PC,
> but this is normally very stable. If it wasn't a problem at the Cluster end,
> then maybe it is disconnects from within  WT ???

Are you talking about the F5MZN-3 dx cluster? If so, the server is not
very stable and crashed a lot of time during the contest! By chance,
there is watchdog which does restart it automatically in case of freeze.

Olivier / f5mzn