[WT-support] Advanced setup network for M2

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Tue Nov 6 16:10:13 CET 2007

Hi Claudio

Claudio Veroli a écrit :

> Congrats to all developers particularly to Olivier F5MZN and F5FVY. We
> really like this software.

My callsign is F6FVY (N + 1) - Just kidding ;-)

> Only one problem on Saturday evening when we got around 6000 qsos in log.
> The PCs on the 2 running stations
> become very slow with problems moving cursor and entry characters.

(snip)

> Here is our PC setup:
>
> PC are all Pentium III or IV with at least 256 Mb RAM OS Windows2000 SP4
>
> 2 PCs on Run1 (one on the running station + one on the support station)
> 2 PCs on Run2 (idem)
> 1 PCs on Mult1
> 1 PC  on Mult2
> 1 PC  used as Monitor or silent backup
> 1 PC  is dedicated to PCL with TNC2 and time sync (P III 256Mb )
>
> Network HUB is only 10 Mb.
> No RFI on the network.
> Sync logs on the network was disable for all PCs.
> We normally use the following windows RADIO1, STATUS, Packet announcements,
> Partial check, N+1, Exchange guessing.
> All PC are connect to a radio and frequency is showed in STATUS.
>
> Is there any possibility to filter spots on the PC dedicated to PCL and to
> pass on the network only multipliers or new contacts?

No, except if you set filters on the DX cluster server it self, but it
is not "interactive" with WT, of course.

> Any others suggestions for the network setup? OR should I upgrade my
> hardware ?

We currently use 5 x PII 300 MHz / 64 MB (!) at FY5KE and we do not
suffer any slowing down. And be sure we use WT at its full capabilities,
with all data updated as-we-type ;-)

This slowdown is totally abnormal with your current configuration,
especially if the sync was disabled !

Before going any further, please check that you don't have *any*
anti-virus of some sort installed and running on those computers.
Especially if they have some sort of "real-time analysis" which is
triggered everytime the OS does access to the file system. It
considerably slows down the disk access in our case, where several files
are simultaneously updated for every received spot.

Check also that you don't have any "automatic and silent" Windows update
engaged. That might impact the responsivness and file system access, for
low-end machines.

> POST CONTEST
>
> I saw some QSOs out of order in time and this affects the 8 band change
> controls. Is there any possibility to reorder QSOs by time?

The easiest way is to merge your log with it self. Meaning that you hv
to use the merge function, with your log as master log, and your log
(again) as a second one. Wise users backup files before proceeding !