[WT-support] Unlucky version 13 and saving standard messages

Nick Totterdell ntotterdell at riverauto.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 15:42:05 CEST 2007

Hi

I am subscribing to the list so that (hopefully) I can avoid the
problems of Saturday morning.

I downloaded what I expected was the latest version on Wintest on Wed 24
July at 14:35 Local Time (version 3.13.0). All was fine in the IOTA
contest until I started working stations for the second time - non
island stations came up with 599xxx for their IOTA reference and island
stations similarly. Well I know now that this bug was spotted quickly
and version 3.14 was published, but was I the only person who lost an
hour trying to sort out what on earth was going on with unlucky version
13? I guess I was just unfortunate in downloading 3.13 in the short time
that it was available. I ended up installing version 3.10 and all was
OK. Anyway, it is only a hobby and it is hardly a matter of life and
death! Or is it??

Previously I have always used my own software but I quite fancy all the
stats that Wintest provides and it is just not worth the enormous effort
to add this to my code - so because of version 13, this contest was not
a good introduction to someone else's package, Hi. Incidentally I can
export ADIF and import this into my own main log in G4FAL software which
is aptly suitable for keeping all logs together and for handing QSLs
etc.

Other points:

1. Is there any way to import and export modified standard messages? I
have just made a text file from which to paste them into a new contest
but it would be good to be able to save them and re-import them for a
contest.

2. I guess the alternative is to start with a previous contest (last
years) and modify it, but there is no Save-As facility so this would
require a manual copy and rename of the contest file. How about a
Save-As?

3. Also for first use, it would have been handy to have a floating
window with a list of the important function keys. I have made a little
word doc with the main ones and I wrote on the other ones like Alt-F9
and Alt-F10 that are pretty important when Wintest accidentally gets
stuck at low CW speeds. And yes I do have equal numbers of "+" and "-"
in the modified strings!

Thanks

73 Nick G4FAL