[WT-support] Wintest faults observed in IARU

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Mon Jul 30 09:35:31 CEST 2007

Hello Zoli,

> PS: Re: modified cty file I fail to understand why the core functionality of a contest SW is provided via a modified cty file as a sort of footnote but I noted.

I don't subscribe to your charge: the problem is not the software but
the original country file which, for some reasons, is not accurate
enough for various callsign areas.

I know that some SW authors have integrated hardcoded modifications,
hidden inside of their code. Okay, that probably make some users happy
... untill there is a new modified version of CTY.DAT which causes the
hardcoded resolver to give wrong results!

This is why we deal with that problem in a different way, providing a
more accurate version of CTY.DAT rather than having a workaround in the
code. That way, you can still use the official CTY.DAT (if you don't
trust our, for exemple).

Hope to have clarified a bit,

Olivier / f5mzn