[WT-support] IARU quirks with 3.11

Robert Underwood k0ru at arrl.net
Mon Jul 16 03:35:03 CEST 2007

Interesting , am I to ASS_U_ME everyone knows what CT is?   Guess I need to
buy every contest software there is and learn them before I can understand
any the others?    Windows is Windows the STANDARDS are the same regardless
of what program your using ,,,, Tab to change fields has been
the standard for just about any windows program I've ever used.    I
personally think their should be an option in the Keyboard setup where the
operator
can say select TAB or select SPACE to change from field to field.. But then
again I'm a NEWBIE what would I know.  I'll just keep deciphering all your
Lingo here till I understand it all.  I've always used N3FJP - Scott's
contesting software which has worked Excellent.  however he is not willing
to conform to
the new Microsoft framework for Net frame with his future upgrades...   :(
.... besides this Win-Test does have some very nice features...   Time will
tell,
and then DELETE is cheap.. I've spent the money for it and find it a wise
choice.  Time will tell.   But as with many other choices I've made in my
life, things
can change... Nice being a optimistic user hi hi...  All in all I think the
program worked very well, it just comes down to more of a learning curve and
again I
think some consistencies.  I remember the day when Excel & Lotus123 went
thru the keyboard challenge... oh hmmm, Lotus123 (what is that... Dinosaur)
Failed to comply with Windows Keyboard consistencies for one which made it
very difficult to train new accounting personnel... Poof Lotus 123 GONE.. No
More
All systems now Excel ... Hmmm, all for simplicity of training and
consistency... Just my opinion...  One method works good if your the person
writing the program
for you and yours... But then when your writing the program for the Entire
Population, a wider thought must be given to what is best for the general
public to allow
for simplicity, user friendliness and MORE SALES  ! ! !   I see things like
this, the more sales of this program the more users, the better the program
becomes
because of the continued support and efforts to improve them.   Thus is why
I find Sharewares, etc.  pretty much worthless, they doen't get the bucks
for the program
and they then are not able to continue to provide added support.   On the
other hand when your willing to charge and other pay, then your more
obligated to continue
the support and make whatever ever improvements you can to gain more
popularity.  I don't necessarily agree with the Version 1, 2, 3, 4 and 12
etc.   It seems that
everyone is quick to produce a newer version, personally I'd like it if they
would just produce a version which Works Well maybe not perfect but
sufficient and then
continue making improvements until the next release has been test and then
release it.      Oh and I don't mind paying a MINOR fee to purchase the new
and improved
if it truely has some drastic benifits and WORKS...  We like to think
Hamradio is a hobby, but their are also finacial ties to our hobby that
these software developers
are realizing and need to come to terms with.    It has always been my
belief that writting a driver file for a particular device (Radio interface,
Radio, Keyer, etc) would be
better served being an external (boot read file) that supports such devices
setting up parameters and such.  Sure leaves alot of flexibility to the
program and saves alot
of headaches for the programmers.  Example, somebody asked about the $QSOB4
change, why in the world would you make something as simple as that as being
HARD CODED... WASTEFUL.... in my opinion...  Waste of programmers time,
supports time, and terrible for customer relations such as the example
showed...
All he wanted was a simple way to say DUPE or QSO B4 in a message... Duh..
Guess that is why I use a Keyer and Key hi hi... I like my flexibility on
the Fly...

Good luck, enjoying the program and providing advice or whatever as time
goes on.

K0RU - Rob - 73