[WT-support] IARU quirks with 3.11

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Mon Jul 16 01:47:26 CEST 2007

On 7/15/07, Dick Dievendorff <dieven at comcast.net> wrote:

> Downloaded and installed Juha's zip file from
> http://www.kolumbus.fi/oh6xx/Temp/ITU.zip.  When I worked one of the HQ
> stations,
> PJ2HQ, the zone field was filled in with "VERONA", which is what's in
> Juha's file.
> PJ2HQ was sending something like "VRNA", and when I tried to overtype
> VERONA with what
> was actually being sent, I was unable to do so.  The delete key didn't do
> anything,
> the backspace key didn't remove characters.  I ended up logging "VRAAAA"
> which is
> certainly wrong.

Same here, but Ctrl-W worked, just as in CT.  Ctrl-W wipes the current field
clean (the field with the cursor) and it leaves the other fields alone.

Also, the "Delete QSO" function isn't particularly clear as to which QSO
> it's going to
> delete. I clicked on a QSO in the log, then Edit-Delete QSO.  I was warned
> that the
> deletion was permanent.  But what QSO did I delete?  The one I clicked on
> was still in
> the log.  Did I lose my last QSO?

First, clicking doesn't move the blinking red cursor (that's by design, and
I hope it stays that way).  To move the cursor, use the Up/Down arrows or
the Page Up/Page Down keys.  The QSO with the cursor will be deleted.

I agree that the delete QSO feature would be a lot safer to use if it
displayed something like "Are you sure you want to permanently delete QSO
#123 with W6XYZ")?

When I entered a callsign and pressed enter when running, I got a diagnostic
> saying
> that the QSO wasn't valid and the cursor positioned to the exchange
> field.  I see why,
> I should have used the tab key to get there.

You can use the tab key, but it's much easier to use the space bar to cycle
between data entry fields, just as in CT.  The space bar is much bigger than
the tab key.

But having gotten into this state, I couldn't get the cursor back to the
> callsign to correct the call.

Just press space bar.  Only use tab and shift-tab to move the cursor to the
"599" stuff (hardly ever).

I had to press CTRL-W to wipe out the QSO and then get the whole call from
> the station again.

Ctrl-W?  I think you mean Alt-W or F11.  Not needed, just press space bar
once or twice, and the cursor will be back in the call window where you left
it.

I'd have preferred not to be bound to the missing zone; I want to be able to
> tab or
> backtab or mouseclick to the callsign field.  I get stuck in a very
> unpleasant state
> in this circumstance.

The Windows "standards" (tabbing and back tabbing between fields instead of
using the space bar to cycle through them) makes other Windows contest
software harder to use than WT and CT, IMHO.

Again, as in CT, you cannot log a QSO that's incomplete (blank zone,
incomplete call).  So it's impossible to log an invalid QSO record.  Because
of that, I've never had to use the "Delete a QSO" feature.  Maybe in other
software where it's easier to create invalid entries, you have to use the
"Delete a QSO" feature all the time. :-)

Win-Test didn't get the frequency right for one of my QSOs right after a
> band change.
> How do I change the band of a QSO after it's in the log?

Same as CT, move cursor to QSO, press Alt-F1 or Alt-F2 (band up/down) to
change the logged band for that QSO.

I operated multi-single with one radio.  Is there any way to log a
> particular operator
> in and out?  I'm thinking of the N1MM Ctrl-O function, where you enter the
> actual
> operator's call and that ends up in the log so you can figure out who was
> operating at
> any given time after the contest by staring at the log.

CT has OPON and OPOFF and a separate file that tracks it, but since it's
impossible to get everyone to log in and log out precisely at the time of
operator changeover, it is one of the least useful and least used features
of CT, as far as I can tell.

Other than that, it went pretty well.  Win-Test worked FB for me.

Great!

I sort of missed using the Enter key to send parts of the exchange (habits I
> gained with other logging programs), but quickly fell into a mode where I
> moved from F1 to the INS and keypad + keys.

Forget the CT/WT default keys.  Use the Tools, Redefine keyboard keys ...
option to select something that puts less strain on the hands.  I developed
this keyboard set for Team Vertical when we were all using CT (CT has a
DEFINEKEY command):

. (period) = F1 (calls CQ)
, (comma) = F7 (sends "?")
; (semicolon) = INSert (sends call + exchange)
' (quote) = Plus (+) Key (sends TU and logs QSO)
\ (backslash) = F4 (sends $MYCALL)

This keyboard map works really well for laptops and U.S. keyboards where the
backslash is a big key just above Enter, and the last two keyboard rows
contain:

A S D F G H  J K L (semi-colon) (quote) (Enter)
  Z X C V B N M (comma) (period)

Just remember things are done left-to-right:  semicolon first (call +
exchange), then quote or Enter last (log QSO).  Your pinky moves a lot less
than it would have to move to press Enter all the time.

The standard keys (F1, INSert, + etc.) still work too, on a remapped
keyboard, so every operator can take time to gradually try the new
alternates.

I'm going to be using a miniature keyboard before long, I hope I can find
> its +
> key easily!  Am I missing something?

Yes, Tools, Redefine keyboard keys ...

Is there a way to have the Enter key send CQ

As in CT, Enter is reserved for logging a QSO without sending anything,
something you probably don't want to lose.  I think if you remap the period
key to call CQ, you'll like it very much (if you're a touch typist).

Is there a way to have the Enter key send CQ, when the callsign field is
> empty, to send the station's call and your exchange when there is a call but
> no exchange logged, and have it send "TU K6KR" and log the QSO when the
> exchange is sent?

You're asking WinTest for a "Smart Enter" key that does something different
depending on what "mode" you are in, like TRlog.  I'd prefer to have the
Enter key always do the same thing.  Human Engineering textbooks say it is
generally best to have one function per key, where possible, for ease of use
(and ease of learning).  Problems occur if the computer is is one mode and
the operator is in another. :-)