[WT-support] WT in HQ Envioriment

HRS I4UFH i4ufh at hamradiosolutions.com
Tue Jul 17 23:32:36 CEST 2007

Hi Laurent

> We were networked using a free VPN software over internet.

For my own information, what software did you use ?

Hamachi : https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

Fast easy to install and rocky !!! No issue no difficult, build a own encripted VPN over Internet in a snap ...

> 1st : in a MM category it could be useful to setting the color of the QSOs
> in the entry window, setting the different color with the different
> networked PC. This is useful when you need to edit YOUR QSO that is shifted,
> far away due the high traffic, you can find it quickly , ( this means i.e.
> red for 20m, black for 40m and so on ... )

Actually, I think that having a color per band / mode would be a
nightmare for the eyes, and also for the dvpler to find 12 different
colors which would fit with a background color ! To be honest, we are
reserving log colors for other future purposes, and in all cases there
will be only 2 or 3 of them... Maybe we could think abt using a
different color for "my QSOs" vs "Other QSOs", but IMHO, using the
scolling option (Edit menu) "Scroll in my log only" is *much more*
efficient rather than relying on colors.

OK I agree may be a color for it's own QSO is not a mess

> 5th: When the "Warn I am Spotted"is marked WT  check only if the call of the
> spot match the log call regardless the band, in this way in a HQ stations
> with same call scatterd over the country and different bands, when show up
> the notify that you has been spotted  you don't know who is because everyone
> receive with notify, better is to check also the band and notify only if
> match both ( call AND band ).

IIRC, the frequency is also indicated, but we can think abt adding an
optional filter with your own band and mode.

Thank's to take care !

> 6th: In several windows ( ALT Z, ALT M , Check Multiplier, Check Call etc.),
> the option of selecting one or more bands to view is really annoing when the
> All Band is selected ( and greyed ) , forcing you to unselect the needed
> band and reselect the Invert do show the bands needed. Isn't it better that
> the ALL selection in enabled also when all band are selected and each band
> is unselected so you can in only one pass selected the needed band selecting
> it from the unchecked bands ? ( Clear  ? no ? I will try to explain better
> if no clear !! )

I think I got what you mean, but I need to check the code to keep
compatibility with existing log file (because these options are saved in
it).

OK, I think is only a matter of UI interface, the saved options are the same, simply showed and managed in different way .

> 7th: Why the Check Callsign window has dots in the titles and don't show the
> Callsign even checked ?

Because most of the time, the windows is not wide enough to show the
entire title. Actually, you can hv the entire title in the tooltip which
is opened when your mouse is over the title bar. Having the callsign
only in the title is not enough informative, and every wnd needs a
title. It is called consistency. Furthermore, you know what callsign is
checked by looking your log.

Right , but when I move my eyes to the Check Callsign windows some time I don't remember the call entered in the log, so having the call writtn also in the Check Callsign help ... and how you call the window Check Callsign if the callsign is not viewed ? :)

> 8th: Question without answer, can each WT into a WAN network receiving spots
> only from his DXtelnet installed in the same PC without broadcast the spots
> and the command sended inside WT ? Played with Inbound/Outboud setting in
> both directions but always there is something wrong ... any default profile
> for this issue ??

You should have used WtTunnelSvr and WtTunnel (client) instead of
another VPN ;-)  These (free !) softwares take care of this, by not
broascasting the packet frames, and thus allowing every station to use
the DX-cluster they want. The only way to do this is to drop these
frames when transmitted outside your LAN. Except if you do a specific
modification to your VPN software, you can't do it.

OK I think that it was a matter of network configuration, btw we had used a networked WT connected to the Hamachi Lan only for broadcast the spot over the net. Each WT on the net get it's spots from this WT. Some traffic on the net but no compliant about performance even iof WT or Hamachi.

> 9th: A suggestion getted from competitors : Can we have a windows with the
> names of the country/zones that are approaching to the sunset sunrise ?
> Based on the world map, a list of countries/zones (multiplier or not )  that
> are in the gray line, useful for 2nd night and low band unmissible juiceble
> multiplier .... ( Better even a suggestion on calls in that country/zone
> that are passed trough the packet spot flow ..... ) Just dreaming !!

I had the same dream few months ago (in late November, IIRC). I wrote
down some notes on this. I will dig my desk shortly ;-)

Still we will dream both until you get the notes in your hands !!

73 de I4UFH