[WT-support] QSX test results

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Fri Sep 22 12:15:00 CEST 2006

Hi Tim

Tim Duffy K3LR a écrit :

> N8OA and I tested the various SPLIT Options with both IC-781 and IC-7800
> at K3LR’s QTH.  We observed the same problems with BOTH.

(snip)

I guess most of your troubles come from :

> 5)When either the IC-781 and IC-7800 are placed into SPLIT Mode by
> manually pressing the Front Panel SPLIT Button, the the BandMap does not
> switch to indicate SPLIT Mode nor display the B-VFO Frequency.  A SPLIT
> must be entered via the MINUS Key for the BandMap to properly indicate
> SPLIT Mode and Display the SPLIT Frequency.

I let Olivier check the radio interface coding, and I will also
investigate on my side on the QSX (but I'm afraid it is ICOM specific
issues).

> Wish-List items:
>
> 1)We’d like the OPTION of LIMITING the Display of Spots in the BandMap
> to *MULTIPLIERS ONLY.*  This option is available for *LIST Mode, *and in
> the* ANNOUCEMENTS* Window, but not in BandMap Display Mode.

The purpose of the bandmap display is to help the op when he is browsing
the band. That is why *all* entered callsigns (by Ctrl-Enter or packet
spots) are displayed) even dupes or 0-point Q. This way, you already
know who is supposed to be on the freq. you are tuned on.

If the "mult only" were displayed, you would need to stop and listen for
non-mults. And furthermore, if you enter the call (Ctrl-Enter), you
would *waste* your time and energy (typing, network traffic etc...),
because the call is *already* entered (but not displayed - just hidden).

On the other hand, the list display is more adapted, for example, for
SO2R who want to work mults only on a second radio. They just have to
double click on it, work it, and get back the run freq by Alt-F4.

> 2)Something I personally would appreciate is in the VHF Contest allowing
> display of *DISTANCE* in *either Kilometers or MILES*.

Noted.

Tnx for your report.