[WT-support] slow TS-850 CAT

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Sat Nov 4 11:08:56 CET 2006

Hello,

Bernhard Buettner DL6RAI wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Yes, we observed the same problem at DQ4W during WAG and CQWW but
> did not try without network. I can confirm that Kenwood TS-850 radio
> control in v2 worked "smoother".
>
> I believe the phenomenon was only observed on the station that had
> a real COM interface (and we had to set the COM handshake option to
> make it work). No problem on the radio with the virtual COM port via
> the Microham USB-II Interface.

I have done some tests here this morning. Conditions are: TS-850, real
COM port (COM1) wired to my Kenwood through a micro Band Decode (OM7ZZ).

I have tried with various settings for DTR and RTS: always 0, always 1,
handshake. Also tried with WT 3.5.0 and 2.5.2 (very old one). I cannot
see any difference. It always works the same way, regarless the WT
version or the DTR/RTS settings: when you turn the knob, the frequency
is not refreshed in WT (the TS-850 does not transmit anything on its
serial port until the knob stops rotating). As soon as I stop turning
the knob, the frequency is updated in WT.

I have also observed, with PortMon (a serial port sniffer,
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Portmon.html) that the radio does
transmit a large amount of datas after I have turned the knob for a
while. My guess is that the TS-850 does transmit some buffured datas,
which in my case are sent smoothly to the PC but, for any reason, not in
your case.

Maybe that micro Band Decoder has a build-in secret which make the
serial communication fluent? Is it the case, Jozef?? :)

Anyway, I don't know really what to do because I cannot repeat the same
here. If something changed between v3 and v2, that would be fine to know
between which releases exactly. I know that it is hard to check but I
have no other idea so far...

73 de Olivier / f5mzn