[WT-support] networking wintest via internet

Olivier Le Cam olecam at f5mzn.org
Tue Mar 14 18:29:00 CET 2006

Simon Pearson wrote:
>>>Any news for networking over internet?
>

> [...]
>

>>>I will be interested even just to be used by
>>>two stations (one in CW and the other in SSB for
>>>instance) in a mix contest.
>

> [...]
>

>>We do not privide this program public yet because we are worried about
>>the possible diversions that could be made by guys who would like to use
>>a such "wide area network" of stations located in various QTHs to take
>>advantages (cheating?) in a contest.
>

> I couldn't agree more. Why is the aforementioned scenario not achievable
> using some sort of LAN?
>
> Furthermore, such a system could be achieved using a VPN, which is
> basically what I2WIJ explained in his previous email anyway. There is
> plenty of VPN software available for use on Windows (isn't it achievable
> natively in WinXP?).

True, WinXP supports natively client/server VPN (based on the GRE
protocol which is not always supported by FAIs or cheap ADSL routers). A
microsoft client also exists for win98.

> Also, going yet further, this is simply wasting time coding such
> functionality into Win-Test which could be spent on more important
> [multi-op] issues (IMO); especially as such a system could be achieved
> using VPNs.

Anyway, a such program already exists for Win-test. We have offered it
to the IARU HQ stations last year (and even used it at TM0HQ). So, the
main problem is rather to know if it can be available from the public
download area for everybody or not... :)

Olivier / f5mzn