[WT-support] Soundcard Interfacing

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Mon Aug 14 12:20:31 CEST 2006

Hi Jozef and others

Jozef Urban, OM7ZZ a écrit :

> Your description is correct, I just would like to bring bit more light
> to the problem because I'm not sure if everyone understand how sound
> card works. It isn't hard but everyone during troubleshooting have to
> realize this quite simple principle.
>
> Each soundcard has two settings, called PLAYBACK and RECORDING. Both
> this settings are for most cards independent and can be controlled by
> application (Win-Test or any other program) but also manually from
> Windows VOLUME CONTROL application. For demonstation of operation
> principle I recommend to everyone to do simple test:

(snip)

Great Soundcard-101 guide ! Tnx for that Jozef ;-)

> So Win-Test switches MIC/NOMIC and MICWHENPLAY/NOMICWHENPLAY should
> control only PLAYBACK microphone MUTE control. Maybe MICWHENREC and
> NOMICWHENREC can be added (or replace useless MICWHENPLAY/NOMICWHENPLAY)
> because has more value - "On Air- Recording". But it is only my personal
> opinion, developers have to consider :-)

We considered that enabling the microphone while recording was more
"efficient" as - when you're during the contest - you don't lose the
time it takes. The sound is automatically played back as you're recording.

Note that MICWHENPLAY/NOMICWHENPLAY was asked by some users to allow a
more "natural" transition between the recorded messages and their own
voice when a trailing personnal addition is needed.

We will consider your idea of muting playback output while recording,
but (from the top of my head), I guess it is not easy, because today -
especially with 5-1 cards - there can be several soundcard outputs to
consider ! Anyway, food for thought.