[WT-support] Soundcard Interfacing

Jozef Urban, OM7ZZ om7zz at microham.com
Sun Aug 13 11:36:48 CEST 2006

Hello Dave and others,

Your description is correct, I just would like to bring bit more light to the problem because I'm not sure if everyone understand how sound card works. It isn't hard but everyone during troubleshooting have to realize this quite simple principle.

Each soundcard has two settings, called PLAYBACK and RECORDING. Both this settings are for most cards independent and can be controlled by application (Win-Test or any other program) but also manually from Windows VOLUME CONTROL application. For demonstation of operation principle I recommend to everyone to do simple test:

- connect headphones to the sound card output jack and connect microphone to the sound card microphone jack.

- open VOLUME CONTROL application. Click Start | Run and type SNDVOL32 if you cannot locate speaker icon at taskbar tray area.

- click Options | Properties and as a mixer device select soundcard you are using (neccessary only if you have more than one sound card installed). Than select "Playback" and enable ALL controls to be displayed. Now you can see all PLAYBACK controls.

- let the PLAYBACK VOLUME CONTROL running and open second instance of VOLUME CONTROL. Arrange them on desktop to be both visible at the same time. Later you can run logger and watch for interactions. In this second instance of VOLUME CONTROL click Options | Properties and as a mixer device select same soundcard. Than select "Recording" and enable ALL controls. You can see all RECORDING controls.

Now you have on desktop two windows - PLAYBACK VOLUME CONTROL and RECORDING VOLUME CONTROL.

- check if you have a "Microphone" channel at PLAYBACK window. If not, I'm sorry, your sound card is not capable for "live mic" function, you have to get better one. If yes, you are in the business.

- Now UNMUTE all controls at PLAYBACK window. If you speak to the microphone, you should hear your own voice in headphones. You can control level by microphone slider or master volume slider. It is because sound card has INTERNAL LOOPBACK from the microphone input to the sound card output ENABLED. If you MUTE microphone control at PLAYBACK window, loopback will be dissabled and you will hear nothing.

This function is used by loggers to mute microphone loopback during macro (F1-Fx) message PLAYBACK to avoid mixing of microphone with message. During playback microphone should be muted, after whole message playback is done automatically unmuted, to allow driving rig from microphone.

Please note, manipulating with microphone controls (slider or select/mute box) at RECORDING window has NO effect. It is because you are NOT recording. Recording controls are exclusivelly and only used when program (Win-Test) recoding (Shift-Fx) message to WAV file. Than this RECORDING microphone control MUST be selected (or unmuted on some cards). Only exception can be some soundcards which has "coupled" sliders for recoding and playback together (not very good card).

While logger records message there is an option if microphone signal will be present at the sound card output and if will drive the radio. It depends if loggers MUTE or UNMUTE microphone control at PLAYBACK settings during recording.

So Win-Test switches MIC/NOMIC and MICWHENPLAY/NOMICWHENPLAY should control only PLAYBACK microphone MUTE control. Maybe MICWHENREC and NOMICWHENREC can be added (or replace useless MICWHENPLAY/NOMICWHENPLAY) because has more value - "On Air- Recording". But it is only my personal opinion, developers have to consider :-)

Finally note for microKEYER users. Since microKEYER can switch attached microphone to the sound card microphone input or to the radio microphone jack (B,C or A settings) and sound card output can switch to the radio front microphone jack (VOICE SSB/AM/FM modes - C) or to the radio rear audio input jack (digital AFSK modes - B) there is neccessary to use proper switching model. I personally prefer C-C-A settings for SSB which allows me to utilize sound card internal loopback, recording messages as well as connecting microphone directly to the radio (no thru sound card) when I press footswitch.

73 Jozef OM7ZZ