[WT-support] Soundcard Interfacing

Dave Zeph zephd at indy.rr.com
Sun Aug 13 08:21:57 CEST 2006

I'm sorry for all the questions about Interfacing Soundcards, but all of the
postings the last several days have been related.  I know the folks who have
the most experience with Win-Test are in the WAE Contests this weekend.  I
thought it might be best to list ALL of our questions in one place.  The
root issue is trying to duplicate the functionality of the DVP Card.

I have tried enabling the Soundcard Interface on Win-Test running on my Dell
Inspiron 8600 Laptop. The Dell uses the SigmaTel Audio Chip.  I have tried
the Soundcard with a small lapel microphone, a Heil Boom Mike, and a
Logitech USB Headset.

I have been able to RECORD Messages, and PLAYBACK recorded messages using
SHIFT-->F1-F4 and F1-F4.  That's not a problem.

However as I read the Win-test Documentation of the MIC, NOMIC, MICWHENPLAY,
NOMICWHENPLAY commands, I  >>think<< these provide the following
functionality when the Microphone is connected to the Soundcard MIC IN.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

MIC      - Microphone Audio is passed from the Soundcard MIC INPUT to the
Soundcard LINE OUT when Win-Test is not playing back recorded messages.
This is equivalent to connecting the Microphone directly to the Transceiver
Microphone Input.

NOMIC - Microphone Audio is NOT Passed from the Soundcard MIC INPUT to the
Soundcard LINE OUT.  This is equivalent to opening a switch between the
microphone and the Transceiver Microphone Input.

MICWHENPLAY  - The Microphone Audio is passed from the Soundcard MIC INPUT
to the Soundcard LINE OUT while Win-Test is replaying a recorded message.
The Microphone Audio and the Recorded Message Audio are MIXED in the
Soundcard.

NOMICWHENPLAY  - The Microphone Audio is NOT passed from the Soundcard MIC
INPUT to the Soundcard LINE OUT while Win-Test is replaying a recorded
message

My problems with these commands are:

1)     These commands don't seem to do anything on my Dell Laptop.  I can
record Messages from the Microphone, but Audio from the Microphone Audio is
NOT Passed from the Soundcard MIC INPUT to the Soundcard LINE OUTPUT in
response to ANY of these commands.  The only time the Microphone is "live"
is during Recording of Messages.

2)     If these commands work as I outlined, then I don't understand the
need for the circuit shown in the Win-Test QuickStart Guide.  It shouldn't
be necessary to use any device to switch the Transceiver Audio Input between
the Microphone and the Soundcard Line Output - since these two sources of
Audio should be MIXED in the Soundcard.

3)     The circuit in the Win-test QuickStart Guide does not appear to
provide any mechanism for RECORDING Messages.

The DVP Card provides Audio to the Transceiver while messages are being
recorded.  Recording is controlled only by use of the SHIFT-->F1-F4 Keys -
no other External Toggle Switches or Hardware are required.  The only way
Win-Test and the Soundcard would seem to duplicate this functionality is if
the MIC, NOMIC, MICWHENPLAY, NOMICWHENPLAY function as I described.

My confusion is because these commands don't seem to work as I would expect
- and if they do work as described, then the need for the QuickStart Guide
circuit is unclear.

My final question is whether Win-Test supports CT's   OPON    Command.  When
I try this in Win-Test, I get an "Error In Field" response.  This isn't a
"must have" feature, but it certainly would be convenient.

I will really appreciate any help in understanding how Win-Test works with a
Soundcard.  A lot of my time in the next several weeks depends on a complete
understanding of this Interface.

Thanks and 73 ---> Dave, W9ZRX