[WT-support] SO2R notes after SAC CW

Olivier F5MZN olecam at f5mzn.org
Tue Sep 20 07:59:01 CEST 2005

Hello Toni,

> This was my 1st 24 hour serius SO2R effort with WT in SAC (@OH2BH) .
> And had to say that SW worked very well and not a single SW
> failure during the contest! It wasn't that easy to get used
> to it after 9 years of SO2R operating with TRLog, but I've
> tooken the 1st steps ;)

Great! :)

> This was also my 1st contest with brand new EZMaster, so
> some question are also from that part. (Don't know
> wich problem caused by SW and wich by EZMaster, hi)
>
> - For some reason my EZMaster did dop the ptt line off
> some times during my TX. It was just a really short time
> (like 10 - 20 ms). Put long enough to see that ptt really
> droped out. I found this very uncomfortable becouse NOT using
> QSK amp...
>
> - Would it be possibe to adjust the PTT keep on time? For me
> the PTT on time seems to be a bit too long because many times
> I missed part of the 1st letter from stations callsigns
> coming back to my CQ. Is this problem with WT or EZMaster?
>
> - I'd like to have adjustable PTT on time for keyer also.
> So with CW generated from SW PTT on time could be 0 ms and
> with keyer a bit more.

The 10/20 ms drops are probably a WinKey issue. Actually, the PTT is
controlled by the integrated WinKey itself. I myself noted such
problems, and we had a talk with Fabio I4UFH about it. It could be
possible to let Win-Test taking the PTT control, but I don't know if
that would be still possible to use an external keyer. Fabio, what do
you think about?

BTW, I myself never use Win-Key...

> - From configure interface menu I can select PTT ON delay.
> Is this delay only for PTT on or is it also PTT keep on
> delay. If it's only PTT on delay, that's OK, but if it's
> also PTT keep ON delay it shoud have own value to set.
> In summary for PTT delay, it'd be great if there would be
> 3 PTT delays, PTT ON delay, PTT keep ON delay, and keyer PTT delay.

You can configure the PTT lead-in delay only. The Tail delay is not
configurable.

> - Keyer speed was not working OK. In rate window the keyer
> speed from EZMaster was totally out of sync. I had a feature
> independent speed activated from winkey set up. Some time
> my keyer used the speed set by EZMaster potentiometer,
> sometimes speed from WT and sometimes speed shown in
> rate window (like 48 WPM). Coudn't find any logic with speed
> variation and it was not that fun to try to guess with what
> speed I'd come back to someone...

I'm afraid that the ++ and -- speed controls in messages can get the
speed monitor out of sync. I suggest to never use the external pot,
except if it is used to control the keypad speed only.

> - Couldn't get the 2nd footswich binds to 2nd radio feature
> working. I did connect 2nd footswich to EZMaster A/B connector,
> but nothing happend in WT. Shift is working just fine.

The second footswitch is connected between pin 14 and GND of the
Parallel DB25 port of the EZMaster.

http://rescab.nm.ru/sh5111.rar is your friend.

> - In SO2R advanced mode with alternative CQ when someone
> came back to my CQ if I did sent an exchange before the
> CQ in 2nd radio was over, the correction was sent to the
> station after QSO even I did not edit the callsing. If I
> waited untill the end of CQ on 2nd radio I had no problem.
>
> - Also in alternative CQ mode I'd like to send CQ to 2nd
> radio while waiting an exchange from the station, now if
> I didn't write something to exchange field (or callsign field)
> the new CQ was launced to the face of station working me
> and audios got messed up.

You are welcome to add these bugs reports in http://bugs.win-test.com

Olivier / f5mzn