[WT-support] SO2R notes after SAC CW

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Tue Sep 20 08:39:54 CEST 2005

At 01:59 AM 9/20/2005, Olivier F5MZN wrote:
>The 10/20 ms drops are probably a WinKey issue. Actually, the PTT is controlled by the integrated WinKey itself. I myself noted such problems, and we had a talk with Fabio I4UFH about it. It could be possible to let Win-Test taking the PTT control, but I don't know if that would be still possible to use an external keyer. Fabio, what do you think about?

I noticed this and had to comment.  Last winter, Steve identified a bug in Winkey version 9 and earlier that would occasionally trigger PTT drops.  Here's what he says on his web site:

"A bug related to PTT switching was recently fixed. In pre-V10 WK ICs, the PTT line could drop for a period of about 1 millisecond when paddle input breaks into a message sent by the host. Although this is much faster than an electomechanical relay can respond, if Winkey is being used in a configuration where the PTT line controls linear amplifier switching, an upgrade to version V10 is recommended. Email K1EL for further details."

I'm not sure if this is the same thing Toni is seeing or not; I would think a brand-new EZMaster would have the Version 10 chip.  If it does, I'm sure Steve would want to know.

73, Pete N4ZR