[WT-support] Win-Test V2.19.4: Some improvements and problems

Siegfried Kleinöder s.kleinoeder at addcom.de
Fri Nov 11 21:58:17 CET 2005

Hello WT-OMs,

I've got some Improvements and problems with Win-Test.

I used this real Windows - CT reincarnation at least weekend in VHF CW contest.
Compliment to F5MZN to this excellent software.
All of the following points are through the VHF IARU CW contest:

1. I've had a blue screen during the contest.
Machine: IBM notebook, 233Mhz, 128MB RAM, COM1 Winkey V9, COM3/COM5 USB to RS232 TNC/Radio1 Kenwood TS850
I have no idea why? Reboot system, all work fine, nothing lost uffffffffffffff...

2. TRX Communication in transverter mode.
I've used a transverter to work on VHF 2m. My TRX is an Kenwood TS850.
I cant use the big feature to set my TRX to the DX announcements frequency.
Win Test only receive frequencies around 28MHz from TRX. To set a frequency in 144MHz does not work.
Also the internal option of TS850 to set the display to 144MHz does not work.
There must be an option, to set an offset to the real band, to allow to communicate with the TRX real QRG.
In 144MHz = 116MHz offset.
This option must be set by each band. I use the same TRX (TS850) for 2m/ 70cm/23cm.
I only switch between the transverters.
The offset can set like, right button in radio 1 VFO A window; SET OFFSET=116000
Also for radio 1 VFO B window; ST OFFSET=404000 for 70cm, and so on.
With this option, I can make a quick switch between 2m / 70cm via VFO A/B button in Radio 1 window

3. In this true VHF CW contest, cluster information in SSB Range is not displayed.
It must use multi mode in setup. If there was a dx spot in the SSB range, the TRX change to SSB.
OK this is normal about the frequency, but not normal about this true CW contest.
After reswitch to CW mode with CTRL+F1, all is OK, but this hinderis speed operation.
I want an option, "Do not use band range information" ?!
If I set to a new spot in SSB range, the TRX stays in ist last mode, like CW.

4. Often I heard at first gridsquare before a callsign, after input in gridsquare field,
master database displayed all calls about this locator, worked before.
Often you can see I worked before and must no longer wait for the callsign.

5. Winkey works sometime a little bit faster, than again slower.
Not so much, but not the same speed about PC speed.

6. In VHF/UHF contests, sometimes it is necessary to send very low speed CW. 20 WPM is in some situations to fast.
Is it possible to set minimum CW speed, slower than 20 WPM and WinKey?

7. When I send CW with hand paddle, I must press first ESC at keyboard to send the PC further forward information.
I like to combine my left hand at keyboard and right hand at paddle.
Is ESC necessary, or did make a mistake?

8. Packet login:
I want to connect my TNC via packet window. This isn't possible, because to connect to a digi, I must use escape sequences.
First, to set channel = ESC S1. What does the Packet Window do? Right, it closes like other windows when pressing ESC.
My workaround: I use a simple terminal program to connect the TNC to digi and cluster.
Then I leave this program and start Win-Test. Now, I can use the DX cluster correctly.
Is there a better way to connect the TNC with DX cluster and escape sequences, like a makro?

9. Buying Win Test:
Some people are interested in Win-Test. Some have none PayPal or credit card (like me).
In the European Union, it is the cheapest way to buy via bank transfer form your own account.
You only need the IBAN and BIC (SWIFT) from the payee. Make this information available on your "Buy WIN-TEST" web page.

10. I want to use Win-Test in DARC - XMAS and DARC 10m contest.
For XMAS, I use the WAG contest mode. For score summary, I use the post contest program LM4.0.
I found also an alternative for the DARC 10m contest. This is the EU-SPRINT Contest.
This is the right way, but I can't work on 10m, this is not allowed in this contest.
I only need an open contest, input mode like this EU-Sprint, with serial count and separate input field for second multi,
like name or DOK with input length up to 10 characters. Score summary is not required.
The mode must be open for all bands and modes. Only ADIF export is necessary.
Maybe, it is a easier way to copy the EU-Sprint contest mode to this open mode?

I would be happy, if I can use Win-Test in January DARC 10m contest.

This was a long list. Maybe I didn't find right options, then tell me.

I want to help, to make Win-Test to a perfect contest tool.

73, Sigi
DL8NAS