[WT-support] WT first time used during IOTA contest

Dominik Bugmann hb9czf at swiss-artg.ch
Mon Aug 1 09:42:00 CEST 2005

Hi

Over the past weekend I gave Win-test my first try in IOTA contest. As HB
does not realy qualify as an island my effort was 100% S&P and QRP. WT
V2.19-beta was setup just a few minutes before the contest and hooked up to
W5XD keyer and my K2 in QRP.

Positive feedback:
- I had no real issue with WT, everything worked as planned.
- I really like the many statistical data you can look at during the
contest. This is a major plus against Writelog, TR, ... (don't know CT).
- "Search for worked multipliers - Shift+F10" is something I was looking for
a long time. Here it is!

a few minor things I can life with:
- in the CW messages I had to add a space after $MYCALL and $SERIAL.
Otherwise stacked messages wouldn't sound right.
- for the "Search for worked multipliers - Shift+F10", why do I have to
enter the reference (e.g. EU011) into the callsign field and not into the
IOTA multipier field? BTW: a wildcard (?, *) would be beneficial for
VHF/UHF/SHF contest were one would like fo nail down that very weak locator.

and a few bugs (or was it me):     (I'll add the to the bug-webpage later)
- in the "Summary" window the average is shown as x.xx instead of xx.xx. On
80 and 40m my average was > 10.
- in the "Check Multiplier" window the local time is shown without day light
saving.
- Bandmap shows the QRG in 100Hz resolution. 10Hz would be nicer, otherwise
I have to fine-tune in.
- "Check partial result": can I define the minimum needed letters from 3
down to 2? Yes, I'm spoiled by Writelog.
- CW was generated by the W5XD keyer. When I hit F4 to key my callsign and
while hb9czf was transmitted I also pressed ALT+F9 or ALT+F10 in order to
de/in-crease the speed. Several times the W5XD keyer got mixed up, e.g. he
sent "hb9cz", waited for a second and finaly the "f" came. I can't nail down
exactly when and why. BTW: Is ALT+F9/F10 the only way to change the CW
speed? A bit hard to find on a busy notebook keyboard.
- in S&P it can happen that you enter the QSO data in reverse order. 1st the
IOTA reference, then the number and finaly the call (which was kept in my
mind but had no time so far to type in). As long as the callsing field is
empty the serial number of the previous QSO is transmitted!
This will only happen during IOTA, VHF contests (Locator), S&P, and if the
other station doesn't ID his call (which I will force him to send before he
receives my number)
- The "N + 1" only shows predefined calls. e.g. I heard UU5WW over the
weekend. After working him on one band I can see his call in red or green in
the "Check partial result" window. If I type "uuww" I would expect his call
to show up in the "N + 1" window as well.

Although the list seems a bit long I very much like WT. Good job guys!

73 de Dominik, HB9CZF
http://www.swiss-artg.ch/hb9czf