[WT-support] CW speed

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Thu Nov 18 09:56:26 CET 2004

Hi Floyd

Floyd Sense a écrit :
> Maybe we have stumbled across something here.  I am not using a parallel
> port - am using a serial port.  You are right - a measurement is in
> order, but I assure you that I can tell the difference between 30 and 32
> WPM.  I will put a scope on it in the next day or so and look at a
> string of Es and see if it changes at all.  The other thing that I did
> not mention is that the speed sent is much slower than the speed that is
> indicated.  When using WriteLog on the same hardware, the CW speed very
> clearly changes and the indicated speed is accurate.

The fact that the speed sent is much slower than the displayed speed may
be a clue that a so-called heavy load on the CPU (or OS) slows down the
internal timer. In fact, there are so many factors affecting the inside
timer accurancy. Not so easy to remotely decipher this...

Anyway, with so-called modern OS, and the APIs Mr Gates is offering,
it's almost impossible to build "real" realtime processes.

We rather focused on the ability to type ahead (which is not always
possible, even in WriteLog, if I remember well), and having a very
convenient user interface (try to modify your previous QSO for a typing
mistake in the middle of a 400 Q / h pile-up with other packages...),
even if the CW speed (which will be very occasionaly modified) isn't
perfect... To be honest, working a mult at 32 WPM (or was it at 36 ?) is
not my concern : To work him _IS_ my concern :-)  Got the picture ?

BTW, Olivier already implemented the W5XD multikeyer interface, and also
intends to add the WinKey (K1EL) interface in a near future (by chance,
it will add compatibility with other hw packages like the great MicroHam
microKeyer and others).

> I don't have a problem with screen size, but did change to the floating
> windows option.  I found that allows me to position the entry area of
> the log window where I want it on the screen (lower right corner).

And in this mode, WT doesn't hide other useful applications windows. I
know users who keep chatting with their buddies on IRC, while running
contests ;-)

> Do you think the CW speed problem might be related to use of the serial
> port instead of the parallel port?

Franckly, I don't know. I always used the parallel port output (my //
interface is wired for years !).