[WT-support] CW speed

Floyd Sense fsense at copper.net
Thu Nov 18 13:22:46 CET 2004

Well, I set up a test environment today for the mysterious CW speed problem,
but today the speed change works as it should.  The PC is running exactly
the same set of programs as yesterday, but with a CPU monitor on.  The
highest observed peak CPU utilization was 12.5% on my AMD 2200 processor.  I
cannot draw any conclusions about what might have been going on yesterday.
During the period that Win-Test exhibited this behavior, I stopped and
restarted it several times and used WriteLog in between to verify proper
operation of its CW generator and saw no problems there.

While the software controlled keyers such as Winkey, microHam, etc. are
interesting, I think they appeal primarily to users of software whose
authors have not been able to come to grips with the difficulties of
real-time programming.  Both WriteLog and N1MM Logger never miss a beat
while editing previous contacts and simultaneously sending high-speed CW
from the F keys.  I've never observed a stutter in either of those packages.
On the other hand, many USA hams have stuck with their under-powered older
PCs and very likely do see the problems that these semi-hardware solutions
address.

Thanks for your assistance, and will see you in the contests.

73, Floyd - K8AC