[WT-support] CW speed

Floyd Sense fsense at copper.net
Thu Nov 18 02:28:07 CET 2004

Maybe we have stumbled across something here.  I am not using a parallel
port - am using a serial port.  You are right - a measurement is in order,
but I assure you that I can tell the difference between 30 and 32 WPM.  I
will put a scope on it in the next day or so and look at a string of Es and
see if it changes at all.  The other thing that I did not mention is that
the speed sent is much slower than the speed that is indicated.  When using
WriteLog on the same hardware, the CW speed very clearly changes and the
indicated speed is accurate.

If there was a problem with CPU contention, I would expect the problem to
grow worse as the speed is increased.  The CW is properly formed and spaced
even at what is indicated as 60 WPM.  By the way, the same lack of speed
change is seen between 50 and 60 WPM as well.  Didn't look at 40 to 50 WPM.

I don't have a problem with screen size, but did change to the floating
windows option.  I found that allows me to position the entry area of the
log window where I want it on the screen (lower right corner).

Do you think the CW speed problem might be related to use of the serial port
instead of the parallel port?

73, Floyd - K8AC