[WT-support] CW speed

Laurent HAAS - F6FVY f6fvy at free.fr
Thu Nov 18 00:39:21 CET 2004

Hi Floyd

Floyd Sense a écrit :
> I notice that changing the speed from 32 wpm through 38 wpm makes little
> or no difference in the actual sent speed.  When the 40 wpm mark is
> reached, the speed jumps up noticeably.  I changed the speed to 31 wpm
> and went up one step at a time and found the jump occurred at 39 wpm.

Well, hard to tell... To be sure one should wire a real measurement
instrument in the relevant parallel port pin.

Check also your CPU activity monitor. The CW generation thread is
performed with one of the highest priority available in the OS, but
another internal thread could slow it down (never experienced such a
case, but who knows...).

One last thing, related to windows sizes : If you're lacking space, you
can reduce font sizes on most "child" windows within its contextual
menu, or by using a Ctrl + Mouse wheel on them (a la mozilla/firefox).
And if you're lucky enough to have a two-screen setup, you can spread
child windows on both. Last tip : Using the option / floating windows
mode also saves some space.