[WT-support] MicroHam settings

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Thu Jun 24 23:02:40 CEST 2021

What rigs are you using?  Modern rigs support CW keying via DTR pin, so you
don't need the WinKey, you can just connect a paddle directly to each
radio, and let Win-Test do all the keying with no WinKey, via DTR.  If your
rig doesn't support that, the keying circuits built into the S-BOX or
S-BOX-USB <https://bit.ly/S-BOX> can key CW and PTT on 4 RCA connectors
using two serial ports.

If you only want to use one WinKey try setting speed "Only by the Win-Test
commands (Alt-V/F9/V10" instead of "Only by the Winkey Pot".  Win-Test only
supports one keying speed for both radios, not separate keying speed per
radio.  It doesn't support the connection of two WinKeys, just one.

On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 1:23 PM <ok3nr at seznam.cz> wrote:

>   I am trying to prepare Win-Test for upcoming VHF contest with two
> MicroHam devices: MKIII and u2R. I do have two following questions:

Which WinKey are you trying to use, both?

> 1) Is there a way to persuade Win-Test to honor CW speed settings in
> MicroHam device router ?

Win-Test tells the WinKey what speed to use if you set the options
correctly.

> I have problem with lower boundary. It is set to 20WPM, which is too much
> for VHF contest. When I set limits in device router, higher boundary can be
> set OK to some 83 WPM, but lower boundary stops at 20WPM. I am setting it
> to MicroHam potentiometer input only.

Not a good idea.

> Any input below 20WPM and Win-Test is stuck at 20WPM.

If you key by DTR instead of WinKey, Win-Test can go as low as 12 WPM.

> 2) Is there a way to synchronize serial number in Win-Test with MicroHam
> Winkey SN ?

If you use $SERIAL in a CW message, Win-Test will translate this to the
proper serial number so you don't use the WinKey for that.

https://bit.ly/S-BOX