[WT-support] MIXED mode strange behaviour

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Mar 25 09:19:47 CET 2020

Sorry Kris, but there is no easy fix, especially if both radios are on the
same band.

Win-Test SO2R in Mixed Mode contests has never worked very well.  The
Advanced SO2R Scenarios were designed for single mode contests, with one
active scenario per mode, one radio per band.  But only one scenario can be
displayed in the Secondary Radio window, so which one should Win-Test
display and use, the CW scenario or the Phone scenario? When should the
switch between scenarios happen?  After you log a QSO in a new mode?  When
you press *?  When you press CapsLock or Shift?  Before you press a
function key to send a message?  Imagine trying to use the Alternate CQ
scenario between phone and CW, with $TR2 commands that switch radios and
modes.  It's a complex mess.

I'm afraid a significant redesign would be required to support mixed mode
SO2R "perfectly", and that is unlikely to happen.

Instead, I suggest using two networked computers, one per radio, with a
hardware lockout circuit to prevent simultaneous transmission.  Or always
keep both radios on the same mode.