[WT-support] Strange problem switching bands with TRX connected by Omnirig and same IF

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Mar 26 19:17:42 CET 2019

"Don't poll" means "Don't send any commands to the radio to get frequency
data," which can only work (normally) if you set set CI-V Transceive ON in
the radio.  But OmniRig ALWAYS POLLS the radio for frequency data, and
expects to read a reply.  It must always set CI-V Transceive OFF, because
OmniRig does not work well with CI-V Transceive ON (it gets too many
unexpected messages from the radio).  OmniRig does not and cannot turn CI-V
Transceive back ON when it terminates.

Win-Test's built-in IC-7100 support can work in a "one way" direction (from
Win-Test to Radio only), if you select "Don't Poll" and CI-V Transceive is
OFF in the radio.  If you turn the knob, Win-Test will not track.  But if
you enter a frequency, it will work OK.

As you can see from the Frequency Offsets dialog in Win-Test, one can
program a fixed offset for every band supported *by the radio*.  If you're
using the *same* radio band for two different transverter bands, Win-Test
has no way of knowing which offset you want to use *unless* you change
bands only from Win-Test.  As soon as Win-Test sees the radio on 2m (via a
poll or CI-V Transceive message), it's going to start using the 146 MHz
offset no matter what you've programmed for the 10 and 24 GHz offsets.

Now, if polling is OFF and CI-V Transceive is OFF, communication will be
only one way, from Win-Test to the Radio.  In this case, Win-Test will
subtract the proper offset from whatever frequency value you type in the
logging window and send it to the radio, so it "works."  But, when you do
this through OmniRig, it's immediately going to start polling the radio
again, so it's going to switch back to using the offset programmed for 2m,
because that's where it finds the radio.

Now, you may want to reprogram the .INI files in OmniRig to add or subtract
a fixed offset value from the frequency returned by (or sent to) the
radio.  See

http://dxatlas.com/omnirig/IniStru.txt

See sections 5.4 and 5.5.  However, that's a fixed value, so you would have
to use two different OmniRig files, one fro 10 GHz and a different one for
24 GHz, and you would have to select each one whenever you changes bands
(right click on Win-Test Band Map, then click on OmniRig Settings, then
pick a different INI file and click OK).  But you may find that to be too
impractical, however, I see no other alternative.