[WT-support] weird.....help

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Mar 17 19:04:12 CET 2018

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 8:53 AM, NOEL POULIN <ve2fww at globetrotter.net>
wrote:

> I have two computers running windows 7 32 bits, and one computer running
> WINDOWS XP pro 32 bits.
> Win Test is installed on each computer.
> I have an Elecraft KX3.
> CAT is not working on computers running windows 7 .
> Cat is running PERFECTLY  on the computer running XP pro...
> I also tried my laptop running Windows 7....SAME THING...unable to make
> WINTEST talk to  the KX3 with windows 7...
> I realy don't know why....

Are you using a USB-to-Serial adapter?  Did you install an updated device
driver?  Are you also using a KXSER cable?  Homebrew?  Does the same
USB-to-Serial adapter and KXSER cable work on the XP computer?

Some USB-to-Serial adapters require power to work.  Try setting DTR and/or
RTS to ALWAYS ON for the KX3 computer only.

I also suggest using USBDEVIEW to UNINSTALL any Prolific device drivers on
your Windows 7 computers.  They have known problems and can interfere with
FTDI USB-to-Serial adapters, if both device drivers are installed on the
same system,

You also mentioned using a band decoder.  What type?  Is it using the same
serial port?

What do you see in device manager?

If you cannot figure it out, install TeamViewer and send me the info. (off
list) and I will fix it for you.