[WT-support] Recent Windows 10 Update (1803) disables Fraunhofer CODEC

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Fri Jun 15 08:55:19 CEST 2018

Tonight using wt-4.28.0-dev, I discovered that the recent Windows 10 Update
to version 1803 (or some other recent Windows update) *disabled* the
Fraunhofer CODEC that I had previously enabled.  This CODEC is highly
recommended for live MP3 recording using the Win-Test Contest Recorder
<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Windows#Contest_Recorder>.

I just tried to start my recording as usual by hitting the red "Record"
button in the Contest Recorder, but instead of starting, Win-Test popped up
the MP3 Preferences Configuration
<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Menu:Options#MP3_Configuration> dialog.  And
there was nothing but blanks listed under "Available MPEG CODECs"  It was
all working fine before.

Unfortunately, *I could not close the dialog* (it kept popping back open),
so I had to use the Windows Task Manager to kill Win-Test and start over.

Fortunately, all I had to do was locate chortkeh-fix-mp3-codec.cmd, right
click and select "Run as Administrator" again, and voila, the Fraunhofer
CODEC instantly reappeared in the MP3 Preferences dialog.

So, before hitting that RECORD button, I strongly suggest you type MP3SETUP
[Enter] (or use Options | MP3 Configuration) to see if any MPEG CODECs are
listed.  If not, download the Chortkej fix (a Windows batch file) from:

http://www.komeil.com/download/264

Right click on chortkeh-fix-mp3-codec.cmd, select Run as Administrator, and
you'll be back in business.