[WT-support] Win-Test & 4O3A Interface Genius

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sun Aug 26 17:42:42 CEST 2018

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 7:19 AM, Steve Maki <lists at oakcom.org> wrote:

> I'm still using my 30 year old FT1000D. I assume your scripts access a
> radio's built in keyer and voice memories (if available). I don't have the
> Yaesu DVK unit.

The FT-1000D provides no software commands to control the radio's keyer.
So in this case, a WinKey would be the way to go, though I think you'd be
much happier if you can find a way to upgrade to a modern transceiver.
Radio technology has advanced immensely in 30 years.  According to careful
measurements made by Rob Sherwood, NC0B, the FT-1000D close-spaced (2 kHz)
dynamic range is only 69 dB, which means you're going to hear much more QRM
while using an FT-1000D in a contest than you are going to hear with a
modern radio.  See:

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

It's all about phone, even though I never operated much phone. I've been
> tearing my hair out the last couple of weekends trying to get a good voice
> keyer going using stuff I had going good 20 years ago (MFJ-1275 based). I
> don't have much more hair to lose...
>
> I've tried the sound card alone method, but have not succeeded in getting
> Win-Test to mute the mic during message playback.

Yup, Windows changed the audio programming interface, so the Win-Test "mute
the mic" feature no longer works, unless you're using Windows XP.  My Icom
sound card scripts simulate this behavior by switching the audio input back
and forth between the mic. and the internal sound card of the radio with
each message.  But using voice memories works even better, and Win-Test
scripts can support those too.  Another option is to use the PTT signal
from Win-Test to open a small relay, muting your mic.

> When I bring the 1275 into the mix, I'm getting some strange low-level
> background garbage that I can't seem to cure.

It's off topic for this reflector, but did you try connecting heavy braid
between the ground post on the MFJ-1275 and the transceiver and the PC?
>From the photos, it looks like all the audio shields are isolated from the
case ground.  More about this from K9YC:

http://www.audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf