[WT-support] Can't send CW with Win-Test > RHR using K3/0 Mini

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Sat Nov 11 18:43:08 CET 2017

OK folks, things may get confusing here, now that we have two different
contesters named Bob Wilson on the Win-Test reflector (N6TV "Robert A.
Wilson" and K4XAA "Robert W. Wilson").

XAA-Bob:

I assume you're using the RemoteRig RRC-1258MKII, which I have no
experience with.  But according to the manual, you need to connect a cable
to the "straight key input" of the K3.  Do you have paddle sent CW working
already?

First set CONFIG:PTT-KEY back to OFF-OFF, and DTR/RTS to OFF/OFF on the COM
port used for rig control in Win-Test.

>From the RRC manual, it looks like you access the RRC setup details from a
web browser.  Under serial settings set "mode" of each COM port, perhaps
COM1 mode to Mode 4 (Elecraft), and COM2 to mode 8 (WinKeyer, 1200 baud),
and there even seems to be a COM3 that could be used as a WinKey.

In Win-Test Interface configuration, tell Win-Test to use the second or 3rd
virtual serial port a WinKey device.

Another option is to get a straight key working, remotely, then use a
legacy serial port PC keying interface circuit on that straight key input.
It's not clear to me if the RRC box has the capability of understanding CW
keyed (on / off ) by a PC directly without such an interface.