[WT-support] FT-991 cat WT do not follow VFO

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Jul 25 11:06:38 CEST 2017

In the FT-991 Menu, set *033 CAT RTS* to *DISABLE* (default is ENABLE).
Also set *031 CAT RATE* to the baud rate selected by Win-Test.  19200
should work fine in both.

Also change *032 CAT TOT* to *1000* ms (default is 10 ms).

Of course, make sure "Do not Poll" is NOT checked I Win-Test (the FT-991
requires polling), and that in the Radio 1 port, RTS and DTR are set to
Always OFF (though some USB-to-serial adapters need Always ON).

Since the FT-991 has a USB port, you do not need your old USB-to-serial
adapter at all, especially if it's based on the Prolific Driver, which may
not run well on Windows 10.  Delete the port and the Prolific driver using
Windows Device Manager, since it may interfere with other drivers.

Go to the Yaesu FT-991 "Downloads" page:

http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=D24F60F33816ED8BE5568D7E2B5E2131

Download and install the Yaesu USB driver after reading the driver
installation instructions.  Then connect the USB cable and power up the
radio.  The Windows Device Manager will show the assigned virtual serial
ports.  The "Enhanced" port is the CAT port (Radio 1).  The "Standard" port
can be used for computer-generated PTT or FSK RTTY (Other Interface).  In
Win-Test set the port type of the Standard serial port to *Other Interface*
and set *DTR* to *CW* and *RTS* to *PTT*.

Set menu *060 PC KEYING* to *DTR* and *110 SSB KEYING* to *RTS*.

Now everything can be done with one USB cable to the radio:  rig control,
PTT, CW.  FSK can also work via MMTTY with similar menu settings.