[WT-support] some issues with the muting at voice recorder

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Aug 15 10:31:20 CEST 2017

As I understand things, the Windows OS APIs (software interfaces) that
control the sound card functions like "mute mic" were completely changed
after Windows XP, and 100% backwards compatibility with old sound card
applications like Win-Test and sbrdchk was never provided by Microsoft.

They expected application developers to migrate to the "new" sound card
APIs and libraries, but that requires Win-Test code changes, *and* a
completely new development environment, *and* a complete recompile and
retest of all Win-Test code.  That is not going to happen any time soon (if
ever).

In other words, the "Mute MIC when the DVK is playing" option of Win-Test
does not work any more, except on Windows XP, and it cannot be easily fixed.

Depending on your radio type, consider using the radio's built-in sound
card or voice memories instead of using a PC sound card. This will usually
mute the radio's mic line. Scripts support this.  See
https://bit.ly/wtscripts .

But note that voice memories do not work well with the Advanced SO2R
scenarios, because Win-Test does have built-in code to support voice memory
events. And since Win-Test only supports one sound card as a DVK, there is
no way to use two sound cards, one inside each radio, with the Advanced
SO2R scenarios, unfortunately.

The only way to mute the mic when a message is playing would be via a
hardware relay to open the mic. line, plus some scripts to toggle a pin on
a dedicated serial port during all message transmissions, but I don't think
anyone has ever tried to do that.