[WT-support] score not correctly synced through network

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Sep 6 11:02:07 CEST 2016

Since score is based on distance alone, and there are no multipliers, it is
possible that Win-Test fails to properly recalculate the cumulative
distance score on all networked computers when a previously logged QSO is
edited to change the received exchange (grid locator), and that the correct
distance recalculation only occurs on a remote computer during restart,
when the log is reopened and read from beginning to end.

It's kind of tricky because Win-Test has to first subtract the distance to
the old grid then add the distance to the new grid to get a new cumulative
sum.  And that cumulative sum could be changed in the middle of the
calculation if a new QSO is logged at the same instant on another computer,
or both the callsign and the exchange are edited at the same time,
resulting in a dupe and zero points.

In other words, getting the correct total distance in a busy network is
harder than you might think.