[WT-support] AUTOCW on Secondary Radio?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Tue Feb 9 20:24:11 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 8, 2016 at 11:37 AM, Laurent HAAS - F6FVY <f6fvy at free.fr> wrote:

> Le 08/02/2016 20:11, Bob Wilson, N6TV a écrit :
>
> Apparently AUTOCW mode only works in the Primary Radio, since the
>> Secondary Radio window was originally intended for S&P mode, while
>> running on the Primary.
>>

> It works for the _ACTIVE_ radio.
>
> Using the Shift (or Shift-Lock) doesn't change the active radio (if it
> was, it would stop the transmission of the alternate radio...).

I don't understand this definition of "Active" radio.  Do you mean, "the TX
radio"?

Suppose "Tools | Caps Lock binds to the secondary radio" is enabled.
Suppose RUN mode is enabled on both Primary and Secondary, with Primary is
set to Radio 1, and Secondary set to Radio 2.

If you press CapsLock, the cursor moves to the Secondary Radio
(transmission continues on primary radio, if already in progress).

Now, in the secondary radio window, type REPEAT [Enter] to enable repeating
CQs, and press F1.

At this point running starts on the secondary radio, and the secondary
radio window behaves *exactly* same as running on the primary radio.  If
you start typing in the secondary, the repeating CQ stops.  If you press
CapsLock then enter a call in the primary window, the repeating CQ on the
secondary radio does NOT stop.  This works as desired.

So, I see no reason why AUTOCW cannot work in the secondary radio window
when the secondary radio window is active (yellow) and in RUN mode.  If the
start of transmission interrupts something like a CQ on the primary, I
think that's OK, and that is what is wanted when you are trying to CQ on
two different radios at the same time.

Note also, in LUA we have these variables:

wtRadio (the active one),
wtRadioInactive (the non-active one),
wtRadioPrimary (the one that is in the main log wnd),
wtRadioSecondary (the one that is in the secondary log wnd)
wtRadio1 and wtRadio2

If you press CapsLock or call wtApp:SetCapsLock(), wtRadio and
wtRadioActive swap immediately, don't they?  Doesn't that mean that the
active radio is selected by CapsLock?  If so, and AUTOCW applies to the
active radio, shouldn't AUTOCW work after you press CapsLock?

Getting back to Ingo's original question, I wonder why you like to use
AUTOCW?  Did you know that you can press the INSERT key, then finish typing
the rest of the call and the CW will catch up?  You don't have to enter a
complete callsign before pressing INSERT.  Yes, AUTOCW saves one keystroke,
but it means you have to wait before you type that 3rd of 4th letter of the
call, and memorize the rest of it, otherwise sending may start too soon.

Note that you can use DEFINEKEYS to use another key in addition to INSERT.
I suggest using the key next to the "L" on the keyboard (the one under the
little finger of your right hand if you touch type), which is the semicolon
[;] on U.S. keyboards.  What symbol is there on your keyboard?