[WT-support] WT will not run on XP?

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Apr 6 18:20:04 CEST 2016

Did you run the "-update.exe" or the full install?  Are you saying that
Win-Test doesn't run, or that the installer doesn't run?  Either one is
often blocked by overly-aggressive Anti-Virus programs that block and/or
quarantine any executable file that is used by less than 1,000 people (or
something like that).

I highly recommend running the full install.

Try this procedure:

   1. Shut down and restart Windows.  Do not start Win-Test.
   2. Using the Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Select Win-Test, then
   UNINSTALL
   3. Download and install Win-Test 4.20 using
   http://download.win-test.com/v4/bin/wt-4.20.0.exe (full install)
   4. Start Win-Test

If the results are the same, kill the WT task using Windows Task Manager.
If you're not sure how to do that, just reboot Windows.

See if your Anit-Virus program has a "Disable auto-protect" feature that
will allow the installer or Win-Test to run.

You can also try erasing or renaming your WT.INI file, then restart
Win-Test.  If Win-test finally starts, you will have to re-enter your PC
Registration code.  You will find WT.INI in C:\Documents and Settings\All
User\Application Data\Win-Test\cfg\.  If you can't find it, follow the
procedure described in the Wiki here
<http://docs.win-test.com/wiki/Check_Partial_and_Np1_Files#Windows_XP> to
make those folders visible to the Windows Explorer.