[WT-support] WT and Windows 10

Bob Wilson, N6TV n6tv at arrl.net
Wed Sep 16 20:20:47 CEST 2015

I would not recommend using Windows 10 on a contest computer, unless you
use a very specific set of settings, for reasons listed by N2IC in this post
<https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/N1MMLogger/conversations/messages/99395>
to the N1MM Logger Group on Yahoo.  In sum, do you really want your
computer installing updates on its own, or nagging you, or rebooting on its
own, or using BitTorrent-style file sharing, while you are in the middle of
a contest?

I started a Windows 10 free download months ago.  It downloaded about 2.5
GB, but never completed.  I never got prompted to Install Windows 10.

In sum, I don't think there is any advantage to running Win-Test on Windows
10 vs. Windows 7.  In fact there are many disadvantages, as N2IC explains
in his post.

However, Win-Test does seem to run OK on Windows 10.  See

http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2015-June/084345.html

and

http://lists.f5mzn.org/pipermail/support/2015-June/084344.html

How are you planning to do voice keying?  What sound card are you using?
Many sound cards built-in to notebook computers have unacceptable audio
monitor delays on Windows Vista and later whenever you keep your mic.
plugged into the sound card rather than the SO2R box or radio, as we used
to do on Windows XP (which had no audio delays).  Leaving the mic.
connected to the sound card allows for "on the fly" message updates via
Shift+F1, Shift+F2, etc.

If you never leave your mic. connected to the sound card during a contest,
or if you never monitor your transmitted audio while speaking into the
mic., or if you use one mic. for recording messages and a second one while
contesting, then it's not an issue, but that's a lot of IFs.

FYI, for SO2R, we really won't be able to use the USB sound cards built in
to the radios like the IC-7600, IC-7851, Elecraft K3S and TS-590S until
Win-Test adds support for one sound card per radio.